J. Kenneth Barbe
Mr. Barbe concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of commercial transactions, limited liability company, corporate, real estate, employment, estate planning, banking and finance and landlord/tenant law, including litigation in those areas. Ken has experience assisting clients with business sales and acquisitions. He also has experience advising insurance carriers concerning coverage issues.
Mr. Barbe has presented seminars to state Bar members and various industry groups on issues including contractor and materialman's liens, construction contracts, and business entities. Ken assisted in modernizing the Wyoming Limited Liability Company Act as a member of the Wyoming Secretary of State's Limited Liability Company Brain Trust in 1992 and as a member of the committee that revised and adopted the Uniform Limited Liability Company Act for adoption in Wyoming in 2010. He also serves on the board of directors for various community organizations.
Ken has been listed as a Mountain States Super Lawyer and selected as a Best Lawyer in America in the specialties of Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions. He's also recognized by Chambers USA in Corporate/Mergers and Acquisitions and Real Estate.
Prior to joining Welborn Sullivan Meck & Tooley, Mr. Barbe practiced with Brown, Drew & Massey, LLP for twenty eight years.
- Represents wind energy client in wind leasing transactions and related matters
- Has represented clients in acquisition of several hundred thousand acres of ranch land in Wyoming
- Represented seller in $20 million sale of business to a national purchaser
- Has represented sellers of health care related business
- Represented land owner in option to sell contract with real estate developer
- Represented investor in creation of operating company and line of credit commitments for development of nationally franchised restaurants
- Prepared estate planning documents including tax-planned wills, trusts and related estate planning documents for clients with moderate to high net worth
- Represented record company in development of Artist agreements for touring and recording artists
- Has created hundreds of limited liability companies and corporations for clients with needs ranging from ownership of hobby properties to multi-million dollar business operations
Memberships & ACCOLADES
- Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Corporate Law and Litigation-Mergers & Acquisitions, 2006-2013
- Member Wyoming Bar Association
- Former member of the Wyoming Board of Law Examiners
- Admitted to practice before all district courts in Wyoming and the Wyoming Supreme Court.
- Admitted to practice in the Federal District Court in Wyoming
- Lecturer, various continuing legal education seminars.
Ken’s interests away from work include photography, playing guitar, and enjoying the outdoors as well as travel with his wife. A Wyoming native, Ken's appreciation for the state stems from his family's cattle ranch.
* "The Wyoming State Bar does not certify any lawyer as a specialist, or expert. Anyone considering a lawyer should independently investigate the lawyer's credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements, or self-proclaimed expertise."
-- Rule 7.2, Wyoming Rules of Professional Conduct
- Corporate Law
- Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Banking & Finance
- J.D., University of Wyoming Law School, with honors, 1983
- B.S., Finance, University of Wyoming, with honors, 1980
BAR ADMISSIONS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Wyoming, 1983*
- U.S. District Court, District of Wyoming
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
Professional & Community Activities
- President, Mile Hi Service and Improvement District
- Wyoming Trust Company, Board of Directors
- Former chair, Citizens for a Civic Auditorium
- Former Board Member of the Casper Area Chamber of Commerce
- Former Member, Wyoming Board of Law Examiners
Bar & Other Association Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Wyoming State Bar
- Natrona County Bar Association
- Central Wyoming Estate Planning Council